Tour operators have said that the US government is set to ban its citizens from travelling to North Korea
According to Koryo Tours and Young Pioneer Tours, the ban will be announced on 27 July and would go into effect 30 days later. They did not say how long the ban would last.
— Young Pioneer Tours (@YPioneerTours) July 21, 2017
The BBC reports:
The US has not confirmed the news.
Young Pioneer Tours was the agency that took US student Otto Warmbier to North Korea. He was later arrested and jailed for 15 years, before being returned in a coma to the US in June. He died a few days later.
The China-based company later announced it would no longer take visitors from the US to the country.
It issued a statement on Friday saying: “We have just been informed that the US government will no longer be allowing US citizens to travel to the DPRK (North Korea).
“It is expected that the ban will come into force within 30 days of July 27th. After the 30 day grace period any US national that travels to North Korea will have their passport invalidated by their government.”
Rowan Beard, of Young Pioneer Tours, told the BBC that the company had been informed by the Swedish embassy, which looks after US affairs in North Korea.
The embassy is trying to check the number of US tourists left in the country.
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- Tens Of Thousands Protest In Iraq Demanding Withdrawl Of US Troops - January 25, 2020
- Angelina Jolie Joins BBC To Help Fight ‘Fake News’ - January 25, 2020
- Historian Slams Greta Thunberg’s Climate Change Hypocrisy - January 24, 2020