‘Embattled crime supremo Shaun Wright has been thrown off a Home Office taskforce to tackle sexual violence against children and vulnerable people, it emerged last night.
- Shaun Wright has also been blocked from sitting on any other crime-fighting bodies as part of the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners
- His role was embarrassing for the Government after a damning report into the horrifying scale of child rape in Rotherham
- Mr Wright has refused to resign from his £85,000-a-year post
The man at the centre of the Rotherham sex abuse scandal will no longer represent the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners on the panel.
Mr Wright, South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner, has also been blocked from sitting on any other crime-fighting bodies on behalf of the association
The revelation that Mr Wright was still on the taskforce was embarrassing for the Government after a damning report into the horrifying scale of child rape in the town.
It revealed that at least 1,400 girls were abused for years by gangs of sexual predators, mainly of Pakistani origin.
Before being elected South Yorkshire PCC in 2012, Mr Wright was Rotherham’s councillor in charge of children’s services for five years.
The department repeatedly turned a blind eye to evidence that girls had fallen into the clutches of paedophiles from 1997 to last year.
But despite the outrage, Mr Wright has refused to resign from his £85,000-a-year post.
Current rules do not allow for his removal.
In the face of mounting anger, the APCC yesterday announced the shamed commissioner would no longer represent it on eight newly-created standing groups on crime to be introduced on September 25.
This means he will be ordered to relinquish his spot on the Home Office panel.
In a statement, national PCC chairman Nick Alston said: ‘The APCC will strive to ensure that victims of crime and all members of the public have confidence in the work of PCCs across the country to support the vulnerable and keep communities safe.’’
Report by The Mail Online
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- Teacher Quits Following Parents Fury After She Showed First Graders Masturbation Cartoon - June 13, 2021
- The ‘Phenomenal Amount of Hostility’ I Face Is ‘Astounding’ Fauci Tells Chelsea Clinton - June 13, 2021
- Boris Johnson Urges The World To Be ‘More Gender Neutral, Feminine & Green’ - June 12, 2021