UN war crimes investigators say that US forces are to blame for the deaths of potentially thousands of Syrians following intensified coalition air strikes.
The UN claim that US-led coalition air strikes targeting ISIS militants in Raqqa are causing a “staggering loss of civilian life,” which could result in war crime charges being brought against the U.S. government.
BBC News reports: Coalition warplanes are supporting an offensive on the IS stronghold that was launched last week by an alliance of Kurdish and Arab fighters.
Since then, the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have taken territory to the west, east and north of the city.
The battle has already led to 160,000 civilians fleeing their homes.
The coalition has said the capture of Raqqa will deliver a “decisive blow” to the caliphate proclaimed by IS in June 2014, months after it took control or the city.
Between 3,000 and 4,000 militants are believed to be holed up inside Raqqa.
It is unclear how many civilians are trapped there with them, but the International Rescue Committee recently put the figure at 200,000.
Latest posts by Sean Adl-Tabatabai (see all)
- Adam Schiff Says He Feels ‘Threatened’ by ‘Wrathful and Vindictive’ President Trump - January 27, 2020
- President Trump Accuses Obama of ‘ILLEGAL Spying’ on His Campaign: “They Tried to Defeat Me” - January 27, 2020
- Commander-In-Chief: ‘Unborn Children Never Had a Stronger Defender in the White House’ - January 27, 2020