A report published by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon indicates that UN peacekeepers have been accused of sexual abuse in various parts of the world.
According to the recently published report, there were 99 allegations of sexual assault in 2015 against UN Peacekeepers in 21 countries and so far not one person has been prosecuted.
Young children traded oral sex for food in war-zones while officials looked the other way.
UN human rights spokesman, Rupert Colville admitted in May that it was possible that further inquiries would reveal even more unreported instances.
Activist Post reports:
“It has been a terrible year for the principles enshrined in the United Nations Charter. From barrel bombs to beheadings, from the deliberate starvation of civilians to the assault on hospitals, UN shelters and aid convoys, human rights and the rule of law are under attack,” Ki-moon said.
The allegations come from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Morocco, South Africa, Cameroon, Congo, Tanzania, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Gabon, Niger, Nigeria and Togo, Rwanda, Ghana, Madagascar and Senegal.’
The report also noticed that the number of sexual attacks by UN peacekeepers has actually been increasing over time.
“This increase in the number of allegations is deeply concerning,” the report said.
It was also revealed that at least 22 children were sexually abused by peacekeepers. Some of those children were as young as 13 years old.
UN troops are also accused of running a prostitution ring where they would sell underage girls and boys for 50 cents.
Anthony Banbury, the U.N. assistant secretary general for field support, admitted that this prostitution ring existed in a place called “The M’poko camp.”
“The M’poko camp is, unfortunately, a place where horrible, unacceptable things happen to women and children. In some cases, we have credible allegations that there are U.N. personnel that have committed these crimes,” Banbury told the Washington Post.
Most disturbing about these cases is the fact that there have been no prosecutions. Out of 99 different alleged attacks in 21 different countries, there has been no attempt at justice.
One soldier was given a 9-day suspension, while ten other soldiers and three police officers were officially reprimanded and barred from participating in future missions, but they still kept their jobs and avoided any criminal charges. In previous years, peacekeepers have lost their jobs and in rare cases did face criminal charges when there was enough evidence against them in sexual assault cases overseas.
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- Sweden Carries On As Normal Amid Coronavirus Crisis - March 27, 2020
- Boris Johnson Tests Positive For Coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- Bill Gates Explains How We Need To Respond To The Coronavirus Pandemic - March 26, 2020