The U.S. Capitol and White House were put on lockdown following a “potential security threat.”
There were reports of an active shooter. Members of Congress and the tourists who were visiting the building were told to shelter in place.
— Lex Lopez (@Sox2112) March 28, 2016
No one is allowed to enter or exit any of the buildings in the congressional complex. Anyone outside is being advised to “seek cover immediately,” according to local media reports.
Email alert that went out to Capitol pic.twitter.com/O1BRmDKBhx
— Noah Gray CNN (@NoahGrayCNN) March 28, 2016
According to RT
Shots were reportedly fired at the Capitol Visitor Center, an underground facility on the east side of the main building.
One police officer was shot, but “not seriously,” according to the Capitol’s Sergeant at Arms Frank Larkin. He said the shooter has been caught, but the shelter-in-place order is still in effect.
The White House was placed on lockdown as well.
Shelter in place “remains in effect” while the Capitol Police investigate the incident, the Sergeant at Arms told Roll Call around 3:20 p.m. local time.
According to NBC correspondent Pete Williams, the suspect entered the Capitol Visitors’ Center and pointed a gun at the police officer, who took him down with a single shot. The suspect has been taken to an area hospital.
Tourists were allowed to leave the Capitol around 3:30 p.m. local time.
Initial reports of a shooter caused some confusion because the Capitol complex had held an active shooter drill earlier in the day.
At the time of the incident, the Congress was not in session. According to the Senate Sergeant at Arms, the Senate convened today for a pro forma session, but remains adjourned until March 31.
The Capitol Visitor Center will remain closed until further notice.
This is a developing story. More details to follow
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- Brussels Chief Says Britain Will Rejoin The EU - January 17, 2020
- Mother & Grandparents Accused Of Locking Children In Wooden Cages - January 17, 2020
- Female Pedophile Jailed For 8 Yrs After Posing As A Boy To Sexually Assault 50 Schoolgirls - January 13, 2020