Turkish authorities have reportedly imposed media restrictions and blocked access to social media following the deadly suicide car bombing in the Turkish capital Ankara.
Some media broadcasters say that they have been subject to a ban on covering aspects of the explosion.
Turkey’s telecommunications authority, TIB, reportedly blocked access to social media after a court-ordered ban was imposed.
Access to Facebook, Twitter, and a number of other sites has been blocked because images showing victims of the tragedy were being shared on those platforms, according to the court.
— RT (@RT_com) March 13, 2016
Difficulty in accessing the sites has been reported by users.
— Sophia Jones (@Sophia_MJones) March 13, 2016
Having to use a VPN again to access twitter and other social media. Sad, very sad. Information doesn’t kill, never has. #Turkey
— Suraj Sharma (@SSmanutd) March 13, 2016
— Yannis Koutsomitis (@YanniKouts) March 13, 2016
Broadcast media has also allegedly been banned from covering certain aspects of the attack. A journalist from Today’s Zaman, a sister publication of the newspaper Zaman that was recently taken over by the government, said “a ban on networks for coverage of explosion in Ankara” had been issued.
#Turkey‘s Broadcasting Authority RTÜK issues a ban on networks for coverage of explosion in Ankara
— Abdullah Bozkurt (@abdbozkurt) March 13, 2016
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- UK Government Is Adding Fluoride To The Drinking Water - September 24, 2021
- Switzerland: Police Fire Rubber Bullets At Covid Passport Protesters In Swiss Capital - September 24, 2021
- Israel Says Unvaxxed, Untested Teachers Won’t Be Able To Teach & Won’t Get Paid - September 24, 2021