Citing unproven allegations about President Trump’s “treatment of women in the MeToo era”, West Hollywood councillors have voted “unanimously” to remove Donald Trump’s star from the city’s Walk of Fame — despite allowing Roman Polanski, Kevin Spacey and Bill Cosby, all guilty of real crimes, to retain their stars.
The Donald Trump star, which was unveiled in 2007, has been vandalised several times since the US president took office and was almost completely destroyed in July by a liberal activist with a pickaxe.
At a city meeting on Monday evening, West Hollywood City Council voted to instruct the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce that Donald Trump’s star be removed from the Walk of Fame.
“West Hollywood City council unanimously passes resolution asking the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to remove the Donald Trump star on Hollywood Walk of Fame,” said West Hollywood mayor John Duran on Twitter, announcing the decision.
West Hollywood City council unanimously passes resolution asking the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to remove the Donald Trump star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. #horcruxdestroyed #bellicose #belligerent #unAmericanvalues #MakeAmericaintoAmericaAgain
— JohnDuran (@JohnDuran) August 7, 2018
The Independent reports: the chamber has previously said it would never remove a star from the famous walk, arguing they represent the history of the entertainment industry in America.
It has refused to pull up slabs celebrating actor Kevin Spacey and comedian Bill Cosby, who have both been exposed during the Hollywood sexual harassment scandal.
Papers produced by council staff on the matter said a number of “disturbing” instances of Mr Trump’s behaviour towards women had emerged during and after the 2016 presidential election campaign.
It went on to list several other examples of the president’s behaviour the council found objectionable, including separation of children from their parents at the Mexico border and withdrawal from the Paris climate agreement.
“Having a ‘star’ on the Walk of Fame is a privilege that is highly sought after by those in the entertainment industry,” the report said.
“Allowing Mr Trump to continue to have a star in light of his behaviour towards women, particularly in the #timesup and #metoomovements, should not be acceptable in the Hollywood and entertainment industry communities.”
West Hollywood City Council
To Whom It May Concern:
So you chose UNANIMOUSLY to remove @realdonaldtrump Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
QUESTION: Why do Bill Cosby, Roman Polanski and Kevin Spacey still have theirs?
Polanski drugged & raped a 13yo. Let that sink in. 13yo! pic.twitter.com/YyuLkRJVKz
— Clive⚖️ (@clivebushjd) August 7, 2018
The star, one of more than 2,600 placed along Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street, was granted to Mr Trump in recognition of his work with the Miss Universe Pageant, but he was by the time of its installation also staring in hit reality show The Apprentice.
On Monday, 24-year-old Austin Mikel Clay was charged with vandalising the star last month and could face up to three years behind bars if found guilty.
The marker has become something of a battleground for Mr Trump’s supporters and opponents during his presidency, coming under attack multiple times.
In October 2016, a man was filmed hitting the star with a sledgehammer, while it has also been spray-painted and spat on.
Latest posts by Baxter Dmitry (see all)
- Judge Spares Pedophile Antifa Leader Prison Term Because He’s ‘Trying to Change’ - November 20, 2018
- Scientists Find Earth is Cooling, Not Warming; NASA Predicts Mini-Ice Age - November 19, 2018
- UN Global Pact Vows To Open Borders, Make Migration a ‘Human Right’ - November 19, 2018