Congressman Trey Gowdy has been included on a short list of 11 government officials currently being considered by President Trump to replace recently fired FBI Director James Comey.
According to Fox News, an initial round of interviews was scheduled for Saturday, with further interviews taking place during the coming week.
A list of all 11 candidates may be viewed below:
- Alice Fisher, assistant attorney general
- Andrew McCabe, acting FBI director
- John Cornyn, Texas senator
- John Suthers, Colorado Springs mayor
- Larry Thompson, former deputy attorney general
- Michael J. Garcia, New York Court of Appeals judge
- Michael Luttig, former federal appellate court judge
- Mike Rogers, former House Intelligence Committee chairman
- Paul Abbate, FBI official who serves as executive assistant director for the Criminal, Cyber, Response and Services Branch
- Trey Gowdy, Republican congressman from South Carolina
- Ray Kelly, former New York City police commissioner
Trey Gowdy cemented his national reputation by grilling former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and other top officials during the House Select Committee on Benghazi’s investigations into what occurred before, during and after the 2012 terror attack in Libya that killed a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans.
For a reminder of what these intense grilling sessions were like, watch this video:
Trey Gowdy has not yet indicated any “formal interest” in the position, but that hasn’t stopped others from recommending him for the position. Straighshooter Gowdy even has Democrats declaring that he represents the best choice.
“Dems are going to hate me for this, (but) the best replacement for Comey is Trey Gowdy,” said former South Carolina state. Rep. Bakari Sellers, according to McClatchy. “He’s as honest as the day is long.”
Gowdy, a career prosecutor in his previous life, is hard as nails, and is not compromised like most politicians. His behavior in Congress has also made it clear he is not intimidated by anyone.
According to a White House official who spoke with Fox News, Gowdy is the acknowledged people’s favorite. However no decision has been made yet, and the list remains “fluid,” according to the official, meaning names may still be added or removed at the president’s discretion.
What do you think of the White House shortlist of possible FBI Directors? Who should Trump tap for the role?
Latest posts by Baxter Dmitry (see all)
- World Famous Physicist Says He’s ‘Found Evidence That God Exists’ - December 28, 2018
- Child Rapist Released From Prison Because He’s ‘Vulnerable’ Behind Bars - December 28, 2018
- Swedish Doctor of Theology: Islamism is ‘Evil’ & We Must ‘Change Our Attitude’ - December 28, 2018