Despite MP’s raising concerns over the cost of the inquiry, Police have announced they will continue their investigation into allegations of child sex abuse by late Prime Minister Edward Heath.
Wiltshire Police Chief Constable Mike Veile has confirmed that the investigation is ongoing and said he is content with the scope of the inquiry.
Russia Today reports:
In a separate revelation, the police watchdog has found no evidence Wiltshire cops covered up alleged abuse by Heath in the 1990s.
In a letter to the Home Affairs Select Committee (HASC), Veile said the investigation’s priority is to identify and safeguard children and vulnerable adults who may still be at risk.
The chief constable said 16 officers are involved in the investigation, along with support with other forces, adding that external experts had been convened to scrutinize the investigation.
He could not say when it will be completed.
“Doing the right thing is more important than the reputation of Wiltshire Police, and at this stage I am satisfied that it is appropriate for the investigation to continue,” Veile said.
Keith Vaz MP, who is chair of HASC, said “concerns had been expressed” about the reasoning behind the investigation and its cost.
The inquiry, dubbed Operation Conifer, has so far cost £368,000 (US$534,000).
The investigation comes in response to at least seven allegations of child sex abuse brought against Heath, including one claim the former Tory PM abused a boy on his yacht before throwing him overboard.
It was prompted by a retired police officer’s claim last year that abuse allegations against Heath were covered up in the 1990s.
A retired senior ranking police officer revealed that a case involving a brothel owner had been dropped when she said she would expose Heath.
Heath was also examined in the now defunct Operation Midland, an investigation into a suspected VIP pedophile ring at the heart of Westminster.
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- Historian Slams Greta Thunberg’s Climate Change Hypocrisy - January 24, 2020
- Scientists Predicted Coronavirus Could Kill 65 Million 3 Months Before Deadly Outbreak In China - January 24, 2020
- President Trump Takes On Greta Thunberg In Davos - January 23, 2020