Suspected Islamic State militants waving the black flag of ISIS have stormed a hotel beach resort in the Egyptian city of Hurghada.
Three men waving black ISIS flags attacked the Bella Vista Hotel by the Red Sea with guns and knives. According to reports they opened fire at the entrance to the hotel.
At least three tourists were stabbed by the attackers, who arrived at the resort by boat.
The Express reports:
.The assailants travelled by sea to carry out the shocking attack in the upmarket Bella Vista hotel which is popular with European tourists.
Three tourists, two from Austria and one from Sweden, have been wounded, the Egyptian interior ministry said.
The ministry said two men armed with knives had entered the hotel’s outdoor restaurant at the front of the building and attacked the tourists.
Egyptian security forces in the hotel shot at the attackers, killing one and wounding the other, said the interior ministry in a statement.
All three wounded tourists were taken to hospital, where one was treated and discharged. The condition of the other two holidaymakers is not known.
So far no terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the attack in the popular tourist spot.
The incident comes after Islamic State (ISIS) claimed responsibility for a bus attack against holidaymakers in Cairo.
Masked gunmen on a motorcycle opened fire at a bus carrying tourists to a hotel close to the famous Giza pyramids on Thursday.
We are aware of an incident in #Hurghada and are investigating urgently. Brits in need of assistance should call +20227916000.
— UK in Egypt (@UKinEgypt) January 8, 2016
The terror group said the attack was carried out by its fighters in response to a call by the group’s leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, to target Jews “everywhere”.
Those targeted were Israeli Arabs and there were no casualties, according to security forces.
Egypt’s tourism industry has been badly hit by attacks against tourists and years of political turmoil.
Latest posts by Edmondo Burr (see all)
- Police Arrest Suspect In Supermarket Baby Food Poisoning - October 1, 2017
- Seoul Secures Data From Electromagnetic Interference By N Korea - September 30, 2017
- The ‘World’s First Internet War’ Has Begun: Julian Assange - September 30, 2017