An anti-terror training exercise will be carried out in London over the next two days by Britain’s security and emergency services.
London’s largest ever counter-terrorism exercise, codenamed Operation Strong Tower, will take place today (Tuesday) and tomorrow involving 1,000 police officers at various locations across the capital, as well as soldiers, emergency services and intelligence officers.
Armed police will see their ability to react under pressure to a terrorist threat tested, as part of the government’s standard National Counter Terrorism Programme.
14 security agencies will be involved in Operation Strong Tower, with the first of the two-day exercise focussing around Aldwych underground station in Surrey Street, WC2.
“Testing and exercising is a really important way to ensure that our plans to respond to a major incident or terrorist attack are as good as they can be,” said Deputy Assistant Commissioner Maxine de Brunner, who is also the Exercise Director.
“We put huge effort into our planning and want to test how we all work together. The exercise scenario will test our tactical response including working with our emergency services partners, containing the situation, evacuating the injured and managing a crime scene.
“We’ve carefully planned the live play elements of this exercise to make sure that any disruption to the public is kept to a minimum.”
Some have queried whether today’s Operation Strong Tower exercise is in direct response to the terror attack in Tunisia last week, where as many as 30 UK citizens are believed to have been killed when a gunman opened fire on a tourist-filled beach. However, the Metropolitan Police service has stated that, while the exercise is partially designed to prepare for such events, it was planned six months in advance of the Tunisia attack taking place.
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- Brussels Chief Says Britain Will Rejoin The EU - January 17, 2020
- Mother & Grandparents Accused Of Locking Children In Wooden Cages - January 17, 2020
- Female Pedophile Jailed For 8 Yrs After Posing As A Boy To Sexually Assault 50 Schoolgirls - January 13, 2020