LOS ANGELES (AP) — ‘A senior federal nuclear expert is urging regulators to shut down California’s last operating nuclear plant until they can determine whether the facility’s twin reactors can withstand powerful shaking from any one of several nearby earthquake faults.
Michael Peck, who for five years was Diablo Canyon’s lead on-site inspector, says in a 42-page, confidential report that the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is not applying the safety rules it set out for the plant’s operation.
BYPASS THE CENSORS
Sign up to get unfiltered news delivered straight to your inbox.
The document, which was obtained and verified by The Associated Press, does not say the plant itself is unsafe. Instead, according to Peck’s analysis, no one knows whether the facility’s key equipment can withstand strong shaking from those faults — the potential for which was realized decades after the facility was built.
The Global Elites Are Normalizing Pedophilia
Uri Geller Threatens To Nuke Russia Using Just His Psychic Powers
UN Declares Conspiracy Theorists "Public Enemy no.1"
Tesla’s Greatest Inventions Promised ‘Bright Future’ For Humanity Until the Elite Destroyed Them
Women Absorb And Retain DNA From Every Man They Have Sex With
Bill Gates Developing Vaccine That Spreads ‘Like a Virus’ To Vaccinate People Without Consent
The Globalist Elite Want Us To Start Eating Each Other
Deep Fake? Biden Goes 40 Seconds Without Blinking in Bizarre New Video
High-Ranking Ukrainian Officials Caught Splurging On Luxury Real Estate In Switzerland
Continuing to run the reactors, Peck writes, “challenges the presumption of nuclear safety.”
Peck’s July 2013 filing is part of an agency review in which employees can appeal a supervisor’s or agency ruling — a process that normally takes 60 to 120 days, but can be extended. The NRC, however, has not yet ruled. Spokeswoman Lara Uselding said in emails that the agency would have no comment on the document.
The NRC, which oversees the nation’s commercial nuclear power industry, and Diablo Canyon owner Pacific Gas and Electric Co., say the nearly three-decade-old reactors, which produce enough electricity for more than 3 million people annually, are safe and that the facility complies with its operating license, including earthquake safety standards.
PG&E spokesman Blair Jones said the NRC has exhaustively analyzed earthquake threats for Diablo Canyon and demonstrated that it “is seismically safe.” Jones said in an email that the core issue involving earthquake ground motions was resolved in the late 1970s with seismic retrofitting of the plant.
Following the AP report, the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee announced it would hold hearings into how the NRC has handled Peck’s recommendation. Sen. Barbara Boxer, a California Democrat who chairs the panel, said in a statement she’s alarmed his report has lingered at the agency for a year. “The NRC’s failure to act constitutes an abdication of its responsibility to protect public health and safety,” she said.
The disaster preparedness of the world’s nuclear plants came into sharp focus in 2011, when the coastal Fukushima Dai-ichi plant in Japan suffered multiple meltdowns after an earthquake and tsunami destroyed its power and cooling systems. The magnitude-9 earthquake was far larger than had been believed possible. The NRC has since directed U.S. nuclear plants to reevaluate seismic risks, and those studies are due by March 2015.’
Continue Reading: Hearings planned after call for nuke-plant closure
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- The Deep State’s Next Step “Will Be Trump Assassination” Former NYC Police Chief Warns - August 9, 2022
- Pelosi: China Is A ‘Strong Democracy’ & ‘Is One of the Freest Societies in the World’ - August 9, 2022
- UK Children To Be Given Polio Boosters To Protect Against ‘Vaccine Derived Polio’ - August 9, 2022