David Cameron says that response in wake of the Tunisian beach massacre must involve ‘military solutions’.
In a statement to the House of Commons, setting out the response to what he called the ‘generational struggle’ against extremist, he suggested that RAF raids on Islamic State could be extended to its Syrian strongholds.
The Mail Online reports: Mr Cameron said a minute’s silence would be held at noon this Friday to commemorate the beach victims seven days on.
Indicating that ministers would draw up plans for a permanent memorial to those who died, Mr Cameron also:
- Set out how schools, prisons, hospitals and other public bodies will be put under a legal duty to report concerns about radicalised youngsters and tackle extremism;
- Called on social media companies to do more to help deal with terrorism;
- Insisted official guidance would not tell tourists never to travel to Tunisia;
- Signalled a crackdown on radical groups that call for the overthrow of democracy and the creation of a caliphate.
He told MPs we should be more intolerant of intolerance, adding: ‘We will stand in solidarity with all those outraged by this event, not least the overwhelming majority of Muslims in this country and around the world.
‘This is not the war between Islam and the West which IS want people to believe.
‘It is a generational struggle between a minority of extremists who want hatred to flourish and the rest of us who want freedom to prosper. Together we will prevail.’
The RAF has flown more than 300 missions against IS positions in Iraq since Parliament approved bombing raids last September.
But it is not authorised to launch attacks against the terror network in Syria, where IS is strongest.
Downing Street last night confirmed MPs will get a fresh vote before Britain joins the United States in launching bombing raids in Syria.
The Prime Minister has reserved the right to act without approval if a specific threat to Britain is identified.
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- ‘Sickening Horror’ In Syria Is ‘One Man’s Fault’ Says Hillary Clinton - October 14, 2019
- Encouraging Kids To Change Gender Is Child Abuse Says Former Transgender - October 14, 2019
- One Of Britain’s Worst Pedophiles Murdered In Prison Cell - October 14, 2019