At least 10 people have been killed and 250 wounded in three blasts in eastern Turkey over the past 24 hours.
Two of the car bombings ripped through police stations leaving at least six people dead and as many as 219 injured. The third explosion killed four security personnel and injuring seven in Bitlis province.
Turkey’s Dogan news agency said the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militant group was behind the attack, though no group has yet claimed responsibility.
First, village guard Müslüm Yaldız was killed, and a soldier wounded in clashes with PKK militants in the village of Nazar, Hurriyet Daily News reports. Then, a hand-made explosive went off on a road near the village of Gayda, when a military vehicle was passing by. Three soldiers were killed and six injured in that attack.
Early Thursday, a car bombing hit police headquarters in the eastern Turkish city of Elazig, the administrative center of Elazig Province.
At least three police officers were killed, according to local Governor Murat Zorluoglu.
— MunzurMunzurⓂⓂ (@MunzurMunzur62) August 18, 2016
Conflicting reports have emerged regarding the number of those injured, with Reuters putting the number at 170, citing the governor’s office – contrary to the figure of 146, also provided by the governor earlier on Thursday.
Fourteen of those injured are in a critical condition, the governor added.
— Mala Stark (@EndezyareKurd) August 18, 2016
A bomb-carrying car exploded in front of the police station building, creating a hole in it and severely damaging the facility, according to local media.
Another car bombing attack on a police station in the eastern province of Van, near the Iranian border, killed a police officer and two civilians late Wednesday.
At least 73 people, 53 of them civilians and another 20 police officers, were injured, an official told AP.
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- Brussels Chief Says Britain Will Rejoin The EU - January 17, 2020
- Mother & Grandparents Accused Of Locking Children In Wooden Cages - January 17, 2020
- Female Pedophile Jailed For 8 Yrs After Posing As A Boy To Sexually Assault 50 Schoolgirls - January 13, 2020