A Doctors Without Borders (MSF) medical facility in Yemen was bombed in the city of Taiz on Wednesday.
This is the second to be destroyed in Yemen by the U.S.-backed Saudi-led coalition in just over a month.
At least nine people were injured, including two members of the medical staff members. The injured were transferred to two other hospitals being supported by Doctors Without Borders, also known internationally as Médecins Sans Frontières.
MSF Yemen Director Jerome Alin said there was “no way” the Saudis didn’t know the facility was a hospital, and that MSF had been giving them the coordinates of all their sites on a regular basis, most recently on November 29.
Saudi officials have so far refused to comment on the most recent attack, which adds to a soaring number of complaints about the humanitarian calamity that the airstrikes have caused across Yemen, including massive civilian death tolls.
Human Rights Watch also called out the US for playing a direct role in coordinating Saudi airstrikes, saying they too could be liable for violations of the laws of war by the Saudis. The US Air Force has personnel in Saudi Arabia helping to plan the airstrikes, and also performs mid-air refueling of Saudi bombers.
The United Nations condemned the bombing, with Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stressing that “medical facilities and medical personnel are explicitly protected under international humanitarian law.” The U.N. has called for “a prompt, effective and impartial investigation” into the attack.
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- Brussels Chief Says Britain Will Rejoin The EU - January 17, 2020
- Mother & Grandparents Accused Of Locking Children In Wooden Cages - January 17, 2020
- Female Pedophile Jailed For 8 Yrs After Posing As A Boy To Sexually Assault 50 Schoolgirls - January 13, 2020