At least 35 people have been killed and 48 injured during a New Year’s celebration on the Bund, a waterfront area in central Shanghai.
The stampede happened shortly before midnight local time as a massive crowd were celebrating.
Sina News has reported that masses of crowds in Chen Yi Square on the Bund led to the stampede.
Many of the injured were students and they have been taken to a number of hospitals in Shanghai.
Authorities are working now to rescue and aid wounded. The cause of the accident is still being investigated, though state media and a witness said the stampede began when people tried picking up fake money thrown from a building overlooking the festivities.
RT reports: Fake money had been thrown down from a bar above the street as a part of New Year celebrations, a man who declined to be identified told Reuters.
President Xi Jinping has ordered the Shanghai government investigate the incident as soon as possible and all other governments to ensure a similar disaster never happens again.
One week before the New Year celebrations, Shanghai authorities cancelled the annual New Year’s eve 3D laser display which attracted nearly 300,000 people last year, according to Shanghai Daily. The reason behind cancellation was allegedly concern about crowd control issues.
Latest posts by Niamh Harris (see all)
- Moderna CEO Says Young People Will Also Need Covid Vaccine Boosters - September 26, 2021
- Sky News Host Says “Something Is Up” With Biden As Questions From Reporters Are Shut Down…Again - September 26, 2021
- Australian PM Brags To UN About His Country’s ‘Love & Respect Of Freedom’ - September 26, 2021